Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Knights! And Ladies! And Dragons! Oh My!

This past Sunday we went to our first Michaelmas festival.  If you are unfamiliar with this holiday you can read about it here.  Until we began to learn about Waldorf and connect with other Waldorf inspired homeschoolers we had no idea about Michealmas either.  Now that we have experienced it, it's safe to say that it's one of the girls favorite days.  They are looking forward to next year already and below you'll see why!
The afternoon began with the children gathering to hear the Michaelmas story and then they helped to finish dying the capes.
While the capes dried in the warmth of the glorious day the littles enjoyed many games of tug of war.
Emma recieves her Cape of Courage.
Let the dragon chase begin!
We must make one of these.
And one of these!
Learning to play "Knights and Ladies, where is the sword".  Think "Red Light, Green Light" but with a medieval theme. 
It was a truly glorious day!  The girls had such a fabulous time that it took me close to two hours to get them to leave.  Our only disappointment was that David could not be there with us. With any luck, next year he'll be able to join in the fun!  Thanks everyone for making our first Michaelmas festival so much fun!

2 comments:

  1. I just read the site your linked to. I can't believe I did not know this story! We are just learning about Christianity spreading into Europe. I am going to share this with my girls and try to get to the library this weekend. I might even use this with my Religious Ed class on Sunday! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very welcome! I did not know this story either. Maybe me being raised Congregationalist (UCC) has something to do with that as Dave and my Mom (who were both raised Catholic knew the story). Either way I am glad that we could bring this story into your world and I bet that your girls and your students will have a great time learning about Michaelmas! :)

    ReplyDelete