Monday, March 16, 2015

On Tap

Last Thursday we stopped by my dear friend Sarah's house to pick up a few things she had for us. Sarah and I got to chatting while Grace and Emma waited in the car, and when I returned, Emma said: "Mama, what is Sarah doing?" I explained that she was out boiling maple sap to make into syrup. Emma thought about this for a moment and then asked: "If I shovel a path to our maple trees do you think Sarah would boil our sap, too?" Paths were created as soon as we arrived home that afternoon and the next morning brought a lesson in tapping trees and collecting sap. 
And just like, our born and raised New England girls seemed even more New Englandy to me. From that very fist day, and each day since, they have happily taken it upon themselves to keep a very close eye on the taps, transferring the sap to their blue buckets each time the jug is full (which is about two or three times a day). We have yet to start our first boil, but I have a feeling that from the moment David lights the fire to begin that process, that the girls will be there every step of the way carefully watching and helping and learning more about this seasonal ritual that seems to be part of their souls already. xo

10 comments:

  1. How wonderful! You guys will love it! Our trees are running too, and I think our first boil will be Friday, to celebrate the arrival of spring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first boil being on Friday to welcome Spring is a great idea! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun! I love it that you're not living on a farm, but you're doing this! Makes me want to go out and buy some taps myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, it's been so much fun! Definitely go and get some taps! xo

      Delete
  3. This looks like so much fun Shel! We can't wait to see the boiling process too. Did you have to buy special tools to tap the trees? I think this will make a great 4th grade science lesson next spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, Sarah brought over two of her taps (we'll be sure to buy our own for next year) along with a power drill, a small hammer and the milk jugs. I know some people use old school hand drills too and Emma has asked if we could get one of those for next year (though something tells me the power drill is the way to go)! I think we'll probably invest in the lovely metal collection buckets with hats at some point too. This would make a perfect science project for next year for Alice! xo

      Delete
    2. Yes- an old fashioned hand drill- that actually sounds super fun to me. I know some people would rather have the drill and get it done but how fun to maybe incorporate a history lesson into it! Great idea Emma!! :)

      Delete
  4. I don't blame you for taking this year off at all! Just think, this time next year you'll have four helpers out there with you! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful!!! I didn't know that you could collect that much so quickly!! Great photos as always!! : )

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either! It was a lovely surprise indeed! xo

      Delete