Saturday, December 10, 2011

Advent Spiral Walk

Last Sunday, the girls and I headed to Michaelmas Farm to take part in our first Advent Spiral Walk.  It was a beautiful, crisp December day and the drive out was peaceful as both girls slept the whole way.  We arrived, met the chickens and goats that live there and got ready to experience this beautiful tradition.  Since photography was not allowed during the walking of the spiral I only have the one picture of it fully lit to share with you. 

We walked in and were in awe of the simple beauty of this room and the spiral.  On the log above was a tray of apple lanterns (you can see them glowing in the spiral).  Each child was handed an unlit apple lantern.  They then walked to the center of the spiral, lit their candle from the main candle and proceded to walk out, stopping wherever they felt was the "right spot" for their candle, placed it down and then finished walking the spiral. 

I was unsure how long it would take for the girls to want to walk it, or for that matter if they would want to walk it at all.  The first child to go was a little boy who clearly had done this before.  The girls watched in awe, and as soon as he had exited the spiral Grace hopped up to go next.  I was very surprised to see that she wanted to go so quickly, as Grace usually takes a little longer to get the lay of the land.  Clearly, she felt very at peace, welcome and sure that now was her time to walk.  Emma and I sat and watched her walk all the way with such confidence.  We could not help but smile big, goofy smiles at how beautifully she walked the spiral.  She carefully found the perfect spot for her lantern (and noticed then too all the wonderful little things tucked into the spiral) and headed out to rejoin us, beaming with pride the rest of the way.  Once Grace was seated Emma then hopped out of her seat, took her lantern and proceded to walk the spiral next.  She, too, was very focused.  Very reverent.  Grace and I sat there and watched with pride overflowing as our sweet Em completed her first Advent Spiral Walk.  Once all the children had walked, parents were then invited to walk the spiral.  I was one of very few parents to participate and I am so glad that I did.  It was truly an amazing moment. The best word to describe the moment was "magical" and when I returned to my seat the girls said: "You did a great job, Mama!" 

After the spiral was fully lit, and everyone had exited the room, the parents were invited to take pictures of it.  I wish that I had thought to take a close up picture of the apple lanterns while they were in the spiral, but I suppose that I can always do that next year, as the girls have asked to do this again and again.  Such a beautiful new tradition we have added into our world, and one that will bring many wonderful memories for years to come. 

1 comment:

  1. We should go together sometime! Maybe next year we could go to the Advent Spiral Walk together! :)

    ReplyDelete