Thursday, May 9, 2013

And Sew They Can!

A few days ago the girls finished their first ever sewing project! This sweet little lemon pillow project was in our Oak Meadow book and when I saw it I just knew that the girls would love it. As I gathered the necessary supplies the girls wandered in. "What are you setting up, Mama?" they asked. "I thought it might be fun to do some sewing together. Would you like to give it a try?"I replied. And so we got started. I drew the shapes on the felt and they did the cutting. They helped me thread their needles and I showed them how to make the stitches. After that they took it from there. Focused and super quiet they sat stitching- watching as their pillows took shape. Before they were all done we put the stuffing in and then they sewed the little hole up. The look of pride on their faces when their pillow were done is one that I will carry with me forever. "I did it! I can sew!" said Grace "Me too!" said Emma. And just like that the gift of sewing was passed on to a new generation.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!! How do you like the Oak Meadow curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do! It's really lovely and we have been able to take a lot out of it that fits beautifully into our days without it feeling schooly or me feeling like a teacher and the girls the students (I really didn't want that to happen and am glad it hasn't). The link below explains how and why we made the decision to take the plunge. I probably should do another blogpost about it and may do that this fall. An update of sorts if you will. :)

      http://ouronesweetfamily.blogspot.com/2011/09/beginning.html

      I'll send you a Facebook message and we can chat more!

      Delete
  2. The girls have already said that we need to do a craft store run soon for more fabric so they can sew more things! I think they actually want to make more fruit to go with their lemon!

    ReplyDelete