Wednesday, February 17, 2021

So, This Happened....

 


I am thrilled to get to be a doctoral student in the Walddorf cohort at Antioch University starting this fall! When I was an undergrad at the University of Hartford I had said that one day I would love to have an EdD. Of course, back then I also thought I was going to have four children and be done having all four of those babies by the time I was thirty! Oh, to be twenty years old again! Needless to say, since returning to The New England Center for Children this past August I have been toying with what my next chapter looks like (and doing some serious Googling). I knew that I needed to go back to school. And I knew that I really didn't want a second master's degree (unless it was an MDiv). The big question was what did I want a degree in? The more I thought about it the more I realized that if I could earn an EdD (or PhD) in Waldorf education THAT would be a dream come true. So, I took to the internet, Googled "EdD in Waldorf Education" and bam! the program at Antioch turned up first in the list of results. As I read, I knew that this was the program I was looking for! Antioch is pretty much the place to go for a degree in Waldorf education, and to have it here in New England just makes it even more fabulous! This fall is the first time they will be offering an EdD with a specialization in Waldorf education (in honor of the 100th anniversary of Waldorf education) so getting to be part of the very first cohort makes the entire thing even more special! I love that they are out-of-the-box thinkers. I love that they weave social justice into every thing they do and every class that they offer. I love that they would take a chance on a mom like me who was home raising her girls for fourteen years and homeschooling using Waldorf methods. I was honestly worried that me being home all these years and not racking up accolades and publishing in journals and making a name for myself might have worked against me, but they must have seen in me the potential I have and the unique perspective I bring! I am nervous to return to graduate school this fall, as so much has changed since I was last there. And I have no idea what I am getting into in regard to dissertation writing, but I am super excited to learn and grow as an educator and see where this community and this degree will take me! xo 


No comments:

Post a Comment