Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Father And Daughter Dance

Last night was "the father and daughter dance" (as Emma spent the entire week calling it). The girls counted the days to this special night all week long, and the hours seemed to go by far too slowly for them on Friday. Finally, the time arrived to get ready. Dresses were chosen, hairstyles decided on (simple headbands for both) and a little make up put on (it is a special night after all, and a special night calls for a little bit of make-up we agreed). They headed out and I settled in for a little bit of time to myself... 
About an hour later I received a call from Dave asking if I could come get Emma. Off I went to pick up our sweet youngest girl and see what had her feeling done with this night that she spent all week and all day looking forward to. "Are you sure you want to come home, sweet girl?  Would you like me to come in and have some ice cream with you?" "I'm sure, Mama. It's loud in there and lots of people and I want to go home and get my jammies on and sit on the couch and snuggle with you." So off we went, back home to do just that. You see, this little one, who so many expect to be the life of the party also has a very shy side to her as well. She does not like crowds, especially large ones, and she has no use for loud music. She is a homebody this youngest girls of ours (as the rest of us are as well) and she finds comfort in being quiet and with those she loves. "Thanks for picking me up, Mama!" she said once again as we arrived home. "I always will, baby. Any time you need me I will always be there." She kicked her shoes off and headed upstairs to change. We made some hot chocolate and got snuggled on the couch to watch the Gilmore Girls while we waited for Dave and Grace to return home. Emma did assure me that she wants to go again next year. "When I am seven I will still remember being five and six but maybe I'll be ready to stay at the dance longer. 'Cause I'll be seven then you know." We'll see what next spring brings, but even if she only goes for an hour again next year (and the year after that or even the year after that) we'll support that as we always do and meet her where she is. I'm happy to be her safe place whenever she needs. xo 

2 comments:

  1. I love that there is a father daughter dance for them to go to :) I am with Emma, I much prefer being home than the crowds and loud music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a sweet event! And yes, I agree too, crowds and loud music is not my thing either so I totally get where she's coming from. I love that she went for a bit and then was ready to come home. Kinda like the best of both worlds! :)

      Delete