Tuesday, May 6, 2014

We've Been Flocked!

About a month ago I ended up on the school district's webpage. I'm not sure what it was that I, a homeschool mama, was even looking for that had me there but lo and behold there  I was, and there was what I deemed the most fabulous fundraiser ever! For $20 you could send a flock of twenty plastic flamingos to the lawn of a friend. They would arrive under the veil of night and stay for about forty-eight hours before flying off to their next location. I quickly showed this to Dave who without missing a beat said: "So, we're flocking the Douglas', right?!" We filled out the form, enclosed the check and mailed it off right away. Our friends received their flock on Marathon Monday. A fabulous way to start their school vacation week and a lovely way to kick off a week in general! The girls and I went to visit when we got back from our adventure of the day. It was then that Grace and Emma began to wish for a flock of their own.

And as luck would have it we awoke to a surprise on our lawn this morning! I came downstairs and a bright pink spot caught my eye. I gazed out the window and there it was, the much wished for flock of flamingos! "Hey, Dave, come here! You've got to see this!" I quietly called, and down he came. One look out the window and he replied: "She's getting two flocks next year!". Now, just to wait for the girls to wake up. It killed me not go to wake them but I knew it would be way more fun for them to discover the flock the same way we had.

Emma was up first (as always). She came and snuggled with me in bed and asked if she could come on my morning walk with me (as I had a feeling she would). We got dressed, headed downstairs and it wasn't until she put her coat on that she noticed the flock on the lawn! "Ah! Flamingos!" she exclaimed and ran out the door. "Mama, I knew this day would come!" she said as she visited with each one and posed for the picture above. Off on our walk we went, both of us looking forward to getting home so that we could see Grace's reaction to what had taken up residence on our lawn.

We returned home and I went upstairs to see if Grace was up. I knew she'd want to head out to see them as soon as she noticed them so I suggested she get dressed before coming down for breakfast. She did (and suspected nothing). She didn't even notice when she came downstairs until Emma said: "Um, Grace, did you see the flamingos on our lawn?" Grace looked out and out they both ran!

You really cannot help but smile at them each time you walk by! Thanks friends for sending the flamingos our way. Their arrival totally made our day! xo

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was so much fun! We wish they could have stayed even longer!

      Delete
  2. That is the most fantastic fundraiser ever! So much fun. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! We're so excited to hear that they are doing it again next year! Looking forward to sending more flocks to more friends!

      Delete
  3. So fun to see these pictures and read about the reaction! I was your "flocker" - My kids helped and we thought for sure you had seen us!! I am glad it was as much fun for your little angels as it was for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a treat to get to meet our flocker! And no, we totally didn't see ya'll! We had such a blast discovering the flamingos! Thanks again and we are looking forward to next year already!

      Delete