Friday, May 25, 2018

This Is Forty-Two

I celebrated another trip around the sun yesterday! And since my birthday was coming I have been reflecting a lot on the past year (and life in general) lately

Forty-two is:
 ::realizing that the forties really are the best decade! Before I turned forty anyone who was older than me told me how the forties were the best decade. And at first I thought it was just one of those things that people said. You know, kinda like when you have a new baby and everyone tells you that "the years go by so fast" but you don't really believe them so you just smile sweetly and nod until they go on their way? And then, after the first year and the second and the fifth and the tenth and the twelfth fly by you realize they were right? Yeah, that's how I felt when people would tell me that their forties were their best years.Two years in though I have to agree! They really are!

::finding that I have far more confidence than I have ever had before.

::not caring more about other people's opinions of me than I do about my own opinion of me. There is such freedom in this and for that I am so grateful! 

::being in better shape (and a smaller size!) than I was when I was twenty-two! 

::proving everyone wrong about weight loss being hard after forty (see above statement). So many doctors and nurses and nutritionists told me that if I didn't loose it by the time I was forty it was mine forever. With each pound that I loose and each heavier weight that I lift I smile a little more thinking about all those people who told me that from the time I was thirty until right before I joined Fitness Asylum last September and how I have proven every. single. one. wrong! Has it been easy? No. Has it required me to give up certain foods that I love? Yes. Has it been life changing? Completely!

::finally finding the community of people I have been looking for for the last twelve years! The day I walked in to kick-off for the Fall Body Challenge last September was life changing in so many ways. We all come for a variety of reasons, but we all stay for the community.


::being named the sexy b---- on week three of the (current) spring challenge and owning that title! 

:;finally liking my body and feeling pretty!

::feeling so good about said body and so ready for the next challenge that I signed up for the Fall bikini competition team. If you had told me a year ago that I would even consider doing that I would have laughed at you. Eight months after walking in to my first body challenge kick-off I'm now looking at blinged out bikinis and getting ready to take my training to the next level. I'm both nervous and excited (and I hear that if you feel both those things simultaneously it means you should do it)! 


::progressive glasses. On one hand that made me feel old. But on the other, I am sporting some really gorgeous Tiffany frames!

::coming out of retirement and starting a new (paying) job and being surrounded by people old enough to be my children.

::appreciating those who stood by me when life was hard and I wasn't at my best.

:: finding those kindred spirits that I have been looking for for many years now. It's finding where I belong and finally feeling a sense of peace because of it. It's #lovemytribe.

::loving my family so deeply and so completely and enjoying each and every new adventure and experience that we have together.

:: noticing that our girls have our wickedly dry sense of humor and the ability to use sarcasm as beautifully as we do. 


::being thankful that we chose to walk the unconventional path of homeschooling all those years ago which has helped to make us the tight knit family are are today.

Simply put, forty-two (or maybe it's just the forties in general) is when you feel like your most authentic self. It's finally feeling comfortable in your skin, confident in your decisions and at peace with who you have become. xo

2 comments:

  1. You look fantastic- and I agree....the 40's are definitely the best years. Though now I'm being told 50 is the new 40, and not too long til I find out! haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! You'll have to let me know what you think of the 50s! You are sure to be #50andFabulous! xo

      Delete