Saturday, July 6, 2019

Dear Great-Grandpa...

For twenty years now one of my grandfather's and I have been writing letters to each other. I have a very full file folder of letters, pictures and newspaper clippings that he has sent me. It's always a treat when a letter arrives, and we all enjoy hearing what they say and then looking back at past letters as well. In these letters you see the changes in the family. The addition of David's name when we got married, and then each of the girls as they came along (Emma especially loves the letter when he wrote: Dear David, Shel, Grace and ? since it was sent shortly before she was born) as well as tid-bits of family news (marriages, births, deaths) and of family history sprinkled in as well.

A couple of weeks ago Emma said: "Mama, do you think I could write my great-grandfather a letter?" I told her that she absolutely could and that he would get such a kick out of hearing from one of his great-grandchildren (of which he has three, all of which are girls). Below is the letter she wrote. She had about 75% of it done when I got home from the gym that night. 
 Yesterday, when we returned home after doing our errands we discovered that there was a letter in the  mail for Emma. She was over the moon and quickly opened the envelope:
Such a special piece of mail from one of her great-grandfathers and something that I know she will treasure for years to come.This April he turns 100. I hope they keep writing to each other for the rest of his life. xo 

2 comments:

  1. Such an amazing thing for Emma to receive- I wish more than anything I had done these sort of thing with my grandparents when they were alive. It's so important to preserve family history- I'm really happy for all of you that you have your grandfather's letters and memories to pass on along the generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It truly is such a gift to have so much family history and so many wonderful family stories! I cannot wait for her two write back to him, because I can't see what stories he shares with her next! xo

      Delete