Friday, June 19, 2020

A Week Full Of News

This week has been a big one for just about everyone in the house.

 The chicks moved into their cottage.
I was offered (and accepted) a job that has me returning to The New England Center for Children. Where my career began after I graduated from the University of Hartford. It's crazy to think that almost eighteen years to the day after I last worked there I'll be walking back in and starting a new career. 

And the girls will be starting at Oak Meadow as enrolled students a year (or in Emma's case two) sooner than originally planned. This was always the plan for their high school years, we're just speeding it up a bit.  It was important to the girls that they get to continue homeschooling and we are happy to be able to make that possible due to some creative planning and willingness of friends to be present with the girls each day. 



For as excited as I am about all that's in store for all of us beginning this August I also find myself very weepy about it today, too. I'm pretty sure that I am grieving the end of this chapter of my life. It's been a truly incredible fourteen years and I am so very thankful/grateful/blessed that I was able to spend all day, every day, with two of the sweetest souls to ever walk the earth. I would not trade that for the world! There is no doubt in my mind that we will all rise (once we settle in to our new rhythm) but there is also no doubt in my mind that there will be days that I really wish I was still able to be home with them. Like when I wake up on that first perfect autumn day, and I  find myself sad at the notion that I can't say "come on girls today is the day! Let's get dressed and head to the apple orchard before all the field trips arrive." It's things like going on adventures and having a quiet morning just snuggling on the couch reading that I will miss so very much. I am grateful and excited but sad and not ready. I just hope that I have done enough. I dread that I haven't. I wish that I had one more year, but at the same rate, would one more year really be enough? I just wish I had known that this lesson year would be my last at home full time. Just like I didn't know that Emma was to be my last baby,  here I am, once again not knowing, now grieving, but also remembering that it all works out as it should. xo 

3 comments:

  1. HI Shel,
    Some huge changes coming your way. I wish you all the best in your new ventures and am sure the girls will do well in their studies. All the best,
    Rosemarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely friend! It's been far too long (and I think of you often)! After much discussion we decided not to enroll them. Was disappointed to learn that the curriculum I bought (from the OM sale in February) would not mean a discount in tuition for us so we decided to keep things as they have been all these years instead. Theres also another Waldorf homeschool online option that we are looking into (called Seasons of Seven Virtual School). The timing of that being launched was perfection!

      Hope you and your sweet family are well! xo

      Delete
  2. HI Shel,
    I just saw your comment on Will's birthday. I have tried to email you a few times but says its undelivered. Anyhow, he is in his last year of homeschooling. We would have finished earlier- in VT you only have to till 16, but he still wants to play soccer for the high school so its better to be an "official" homeschooler. We are using some of the oak meadow course this year for both of my boys. It will be a bit more intense than they are used to but the course just look so good.(i think).
    Wishing you well. Rose

    ReplyDelete