Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Good-bye Sweet Butterflies!

Yesterday, in addition to being Memorial Day, it was also Butterfly Release Day. The weather last week really hadn't allowed for us to release them any sooner. Since we had my side of our family here and since it was coming up on the week since they hatched we figured it was the perfect time to wish them well and watch them fly out into the big, wide world. With the exception of the wind the conditions were perfect. 
"Hi little butterfly. You are very sweet."
"Here you go, Em."
"It flew away, mama."
The wind was just too gusty and our first butterfly flew off before I could hand it to one of the girls. The second butterfly stayed longer and seemed to enjoy her time with Grace before spreading her wings and flying away. The third butterfly took off before Emma had a chance to have it sit on her finger but at least she got to visit with it a bit before it flew over to the flowers. Had it not been so windy I do believe that they would have stayed much, much longer than they did. As each one flew off I had a wee bit of a lump in my throat. It was as if I was watching my own girls leave the nest. Good luck, sweet butterflies! Enjoy your travels and please come back and visit us once in awhile!

1 comment: