Monday, November 21, 2011

Only In Connecticut

Last Friday the girls and I took a roadtrip to Connecticut.   I gave them three clues about our adventure.  The first clue was "gooble! gobble!"  The second clue was "special people" and the third clue was "far away".  As we were getting ready (the girls in their standard "fabulously colorful outfits" Grace said to me, "Mama, look I am a pink and orange turkey."  To which I said "Grace, do you think there are pink turkeys in the world?" She quickly replied "no". I asked her what she would do if she ever saw a pink turkey and she said "I would be really surprised, mama!"  Little did she know in a few short hours that's exactly what she would be seeing!
The last time I had been at Gozzi's I think I was Grace's age! It was so magical to watch the girls "ooh and ah" over these magnificently colored birds! And the look upon Grace's face when she saw these turkeys when we first arrived will be a memory that stays with me forever!  I could not have planned our morning conversation better if I tried!  They spent time naming each one.  The purple one (that took a liking to Grace) was named Violet, the orange one was named Orange Juice.  There was also Strawberry and Lime and Lemon.  Even though it was a whirlwind trip it was a day full of special memories that we will all carry with us forever.  

3 comments:

  1. I know this place!! This is where our turkey comes from every year. My sister pre-orders it and I am sure it is not one of the colorful ones! It is so hard to look at those pastel creatures and know that so many of their kind will be living out their final hours.......I think this year I may just eat the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, thanks! Those are some of my fave too!

    Jess, I hear ya. I am still waiting for the day it occurs to my girls that the meat we eat are the animals they love. I am sure we will then have a house full of vegetarians (which I think I could easily become so it won't bother me all that much)! :)

    ReplyDelete