Friday, June 1, 2018

Butterfly Release Day!

Last Sunday we left for New Jersey for the bat mitzvah of the daughter of one of my dearest friends. The day before we left I couldn't shake the feeling that I should find someone who could keep an eye on the chrysalises. I sent a quick text to our next door neighbor and she quickly replied they'd be happy to keep an eye on them. I brought them over, along with some butterfly life cycle books for her boys, and told them that there was a chance they may hatch while we were away.

Sure enough, Monday afternoon as we were on our way back from New Jersey, we learned that two butterflies had hatched! A plan was hatched (pardon the pun!) that we would gather the next day when the boys got home from preschool to release them together. The girls and I were super excited to share this magical moment with the boys! By the time we gathered in the yard, four butterflies had hatched. The first three flew away very quickly. The last one, stayed for a good long while and allowed each child to hold it several times. It was truly magical!

Oh, and interestingly enough, the last time we experienced the butterfly life cycle was five years ago. And, here we are, almost exactly five years to the day later, releasing butterflies once again! 

2 comments:

  1. I loved doing this activity! It was easily the highlight of my year when I was teaching! xo

    ReplyDelete