Thursday, February 28, 2013

Hangin' At The Library

Recently we ventured back to the library in our town.  We had not been in many moons as the Children's Room in the library really left something to be desired. After a few less than stellar trips there when Grace was young (and I was pregnant with Em) we decided to find a different library to call our own. We adopted the one in the next town over as "ours" and happily went each week for the next several years. Recently, we decided to check out the town library again. It had been ages since we had been there and we thought a change of scenery could be fun. So in we went and were we ever surprised with what we saw! The Children's Room had been redone (and what an amazing job they did!) and a new head children's librarian was hired. She and I chatted a bit as I was checking out the items that the girls and I had selected. She loved hearing that we homeschool and said that perhaps she would even get some groups started during the day for us since there are a good amount of families in town that homeschool too! Needless to say, we are happy to be now be frequent visitors to the library in town and look forward to seeing all the fun things in store for us there!

8 comments:

  1. How awesome and a lovely surprise for you. We head to the library bi-weekly, and love it. They do have a homeschool group that meets monthly, but we have not attended yet, maybe when we get back from our travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had been doing a weekly library trip the last few years (since "adopting" the next town overs library) however we've been out of that rhythm for awhile now and I am finding it hard to get it back in! Hopefully it will find it's way back soon as we really do love going to the library for new books and movies each week!

      Delete
  2. Our library here is sort of a hub for homeschoolers; they have pretty regular meetings and events there. I hope your library gets moving with that, as it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do too! It would be great to have more stuff going on there during the day and would be a lovely way to meet more homeschoolers too!

      Delete
  3. I'm a little envious of your library… Ours in West Hartford was lovely - the whole downstairs was the children's library, with a huge preschool room with picture books and toy kitchens and train tables and whatnot. We went every week and it was wonderful. Here…the library leaves a lot to be desired. Our neighborhood branch is one big room with the children's "room" shoehorned into one corner. I need to take the children to the downtown library & see what they children's room is like there. Might be worth the bus fare once a week if it is even half as nice as the one in WH was… xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you lived in West Hartford once upon a time! Dave and I went to the University of Hartford! I know I have been to the West Hartford library back in the day but I have to say my memory of it is a wee bit fuzzy all these years later. Until recently our town library left so much to be desired. The remodel was definitely necessary! I wish they'd do the adult section now too! :)

      Delete
  4. If you're ever going on a Wednesday, let me know and we'll meet you there (maybe go for cocoa afterward?). We're there for a few hours every Wednesday morning. In fact, I'd better get the kids dressed and ready to go if we're going to make it in time to pick out books before story time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I am having the worst time getting a weekly library trip into our weekly rhythm. We had no problem before December and ever since it's been tough to fit one in. I have no idea why either! Gotta figure out what day makes the most sense but if we ever do go on a Wednesday I'll drop you a line! :)

      Delete