Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Jam Day!

First thing this morning the girls and I headed to our favorite farm to do some berry picking. It was a cool 78 degrees when we got there and we had the fields to ourselves. We found a lovely shady row and got picking. The berries were plentiful and perfectly sweet. Had I not forgotten my phone there would be some really sweet pictures of the girls picking strawberries.
We decided we'd be using most of these berries to make Strawberry Balsamic Jam. I found a recipe online (using Pamona's Pectin instead of regular pectin) and we got to work. 
Before the jam went in the jars I tasted it and decided to add another 1/2 cup of sugar. I had used the 1/2 cup of honey the recipe called for, along with a 1/2 cup of sugar to mix the pectin in and found it more tart than sweet. The additional 1/2 cup of sugar made it just perfect (while still remaining low sugar). Looking forward to trying the finished jam once it's set and cooled!

No comments:

Post a Comment