Saturday, May 5, 2018

Homeward Bound

As we made our way from Virginia back to Massachusetts we spent a good amount of time quietly watching the scenery go by. Sure, there was some singing (all of our car trips, even if it's just around town, involve singing) but mostly there was quiet contemplation as we watched the different landscapes along the way. As we drove all I could think of was that we really should have some Simon and Garfunkel playing (specifically "Homeward Bound" and "America"). I will admit that some of the sights were hard to see (the Tyson and Purdue chicken farms being the main ones) and I braced myself hoping that the girls wouldn't notice (they didn't). There was an eerie silence there and it will haunt me for the rest of my days. Errie silence aside, the trip back was definitely one I will carry with me always. Yes, it was insanely long -the longest trip we've done- but getting to see so much of America that I had not seen before really gave me a little more insight into life outside of New England than I had prior. Two stops for food (one where we all had to find our sea-legs again) and fourteen hours later we were finally home! It was a great trip but it was so lovely to be back in New England in our sweet old farmhouse! xo

2 comments: