Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sweethearts

Dave and I in 1999. 

This past fall the college where Dave and I graduated from put a call out to all the alumni couples who met while students at the University of Hartford.  We decided it would be fun to share our love story with the alumni magazine for the winter edition (that just arrived in mailboxes this week) and sent our story and some pictures in.  While ours was sadly not one of the six chosen for publication, it was one of the additional six listed on the sweethearts website!  To read the very condensed version of our story click here.  What started out as something that I thought would simply last for our senior year has turned into something so incredible.  Here we are twelve years (nine years married this coming August) and two kids later.  Sure, we've had our fair share of bumps in the road (eighteen months of infertility amongst them), but those bumps have only strengthened what was an already incredible foundation.  Our story is pretty simple.  It's not one that they will make movies about (although if they did I would like to think that Reese Whitherspoon would play me) but it is one that I hope our girls look to for inspiration when they are old enough to be contemplating marriage.  Our story is simply the story of two best friends that fell in love.  Our story is simply the story of a boy who sees a girl and knows from that very first moment that he will marry her.  Our story is simply the story of love, laughter, magic and a good dose of romance thrown in every now and again.  Our story is the story of us and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

2 comments:

  1. Your story made me smile: we, too, are good friends that fell in love after almost 20 years... Little children playing in the sandbox in the 70s became lovers in the 90s! Infertility was part of our story for 6 years which really makes it a miracle that we are a family of five now. I am looking forward to getting 17 red roses in October ;-))
    I think it is a very good idea to write down your story and I will do the same for our children.

    Greetings from Germany!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that this post brought a smile to your face! It is the super abridged version, of course, but I figure the girls will love to hear it nonetheless! :)

    I had always wanted four children, and I know that if we had not walked through the land of infertility we would have had them. That and if our economy and housing market didn't tank! It was a hard decission to make to remain a family of four but I figure everything happens for a reason, right?! Infertility made us so grateful for so much and realize how truly strong we and are marriage are! Not that we weren't grateful before, but truly, we took no part of being pregnant for granted! Oh, how I miss being pregnant, it was such an amazing experience!

    Hope all is well in Germany! It's always so wonderful to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete