Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Color Mixing 2010 Science Fair Project




One of my most favorite blogs, Ordinary Life Magic is holding a Science Fair!

It didn't take long to decide that we should enter a project, and I quickly decided that we would focus on mixing colors to teach various science concepts.  I chose a project that involved freezing colored water to make ice cubes then melting two different colored ice cubes to make a new color.  After thinking about this for awhile, and realizing how much the girls are totally enjoying painting at the easel, I realized that we should enter two projects and start with this one:  mixing paint colors!

Grace did not end up napping today so I thought this would be the perfect time for her and I to work on this science experiment.

Materials Needed:
Red, blue and yellow paint
Paint brushes
Cups for each color of paint plus an extra cup for the color created
Paper
Smocks
Easel (optional)

We started by setting up the easel with red paint, blue paint and a cup to mix the paint in.
Grace then put some red paint in her empty cup, then added some blue paint in
and mixed to create...


Purple!
She was thrilled!

I placed a dot of blue + a dot of red= and she put the purple after =.
I thought this would be a good way for her to not only see how to make it but to start understanding addition as well.




She painted with the purple she created for awhile and then asked to make a new color.

So I set up the yellow and blue and an empty cup in the same way as above.

Blue +


Yellow =


Green!




Once again, when she was finished she asked to make another color.

I began to set the colors up and paint them on the paper.
She asked to do the yellow.
And then got to work mixing them in the cup,
and discovered that red + yellow=


Orange!






We then decided to see what would happen if we mixed all the primary colors together.


She did not want any help!




Grace was not sure what to call this color and I was surprised with how it turned out more green than the ugly brown color that I expected.
We settled on "ugly green".




Finished Products.


After Em woke from her nap she got in on the fun by painting with the colors Grace created.




We had such a great time conducting this experiment!
It was great to see Grace really understand the concept of creating a mixture and get excited at each new color she made.
It was also a great way to begin to lay a foundation for mathematical concepts.
Simple, fun and colorful.  The perfect combination for a preschool science project!

2 comments:

  1. I almost said that I love the early stage of Discovery, but then I realized that I love it today, just as much-- it's all beautiful and magical to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, and magical is indeed the perfect word to describe it!

    ReplyDelete